Monday, August 24, 2009

Northbound

The first time I approached a shelter other hikers had settled into I was nervous but that all faded quickly. In the beginning everyone is a stranger and for that reason people seem to open themselves up in efforts to make everyone else feel welcome. There is always something that people have in common.

"It is going to be a cold night so we decided to build a real fire!" Green Mountain Man introduced himself and Drifter. I knew that AT hikers adopted trail names but I didn't have one picked out for myself so I just gave them my name. March in Georgia can be very cold. There was no mercury to show it but I am sure it got down into the teens some nights. My sleeping bag was only rated for 25 degree weather. I was grateful for the company.

4 comments:

Scoper said...

Woah, I'd have given myself an AT nickname before I bought any equipment for the trip. I'd choose something along the lines of: Doctor Danger Face, Captain Hatchett or John Rambo.

IBerg said...

"Doctor Danger Face" ha ha ha. I always wondered about how nicknames came about, do you choose them, or do others choose them for you? I wonder what our hero's nickname will be.

Matt said...

It can go either way. Some hikers I met were given names by others like "Bearbait", "Bugbait", "Barefoot" for obvious reasons but others chose their names for whatever reason "The Freewheelin' Milo", "Mindshatter", etc.

Given that we haven't been posting regularly here and I am interested in keeping this strip going for fourteen states worth of material I am going to put it on another blogspot site in the near future. It just seems to make more sense. Details coming soon.

IBerg said...

On Aug 27 Matt says "details coming soon". What gives?